What Is Low Vision?
Low vision is a serious visual impairment that can mean a lot of things. It occurs when it cannot be merely corrected by wearing glasses or contact lenses, medication or eye surgery.
Some of the issues includes
- Losing of best-corrected visual acuity.
- Loss of visual field.
- Tunnel Vision.
- Blind spot.
Causes of Low Vision
Most of the common causes for low vision are eye diseases:
- Hazy, blurry vision as result of cataract.
- Macular degeneration can lead to blurry or no vision in the central vision.
- Blind spots, blurriness and visual distortions cause by Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Glaucoma causing poor peripheral vision.
- Reduce ability to see in the dark and peripheral vision causes by Retinitis Pigmentosa.
- Light sensitivity, loss of contrast, etc. are other symptoms cause by other diseases.
- Low Vision as a result of heredity and eye injuries.
The Impact of Low Vision
Visual impairment can affect both children and adults. It may sometimes be a result of birth defects or any injury. In Children it may interfere in learning concepts, they may even need special instruction from a tender age. Also, they may require additional help in socializing among other children and adults.
Low vision is more common in adults and seniors. It can be very traumatic, even leading to frustration and depression.
People dealing with the condition may feel left out as their ability to drive, read, watch, and many more. Hence many such activities are affected. Also, they may have to depend on others to get around even for shopping for food and other basic amenities.
What to do about Low Vision?
If any of you have been suffering with diminishing vision, then the foremost thing you need to do is to visit an eye doctor. They can help identify the issues underlying such conditions. So, they can intervene with proper medical procedures if it cannot be cured with just the mere use of glasses.
Take your vision issues seriously and protect your eyes from deteriorating.
For more interesting reads: Log onto: http://blog.eyedo.in/eyeglasses-vision-correction/