Glaucoma affects the optic nerve leading to loss of vision. Increased retinal pressure is the major cause of this condition. Here’s a short guide to everything that you need to know about this condition.
The condition can be broadly classified into- open angle and closed angle.
While open angle glaucoma is painless and symptoms appear only at advanced stages because close angle glaucoma is characterized by sudden onset of symptoms like eye pain, blurred vision and redness in the eye.
Since this condition can permanently damage vision, early detection is a must. Here is a list of things that you must know to catch the condition.
Signs and symptoms
The early signs of the condition include loss of peripheral vision, which often goes unnoticed, this why glaucoma is also called ‘sneak thief of vision’. Some of the symptoms include:
List of glaucoma symptoms
- Noticing halos around lights
- Redness in the eye
- Hazy vision
- Pain in the eye
- Narrowing of vision
If any of the above listed the condition sound familiar, it is time for you to visit a doctor.Diagnosis
The doctor will perform an eye exam that will include measuring eye pressure. Besides, the doctor will also perform a visual field test to examine for loss of side vision.
Treatment for the condition includes prescription eye drops, lasers surgery and microsurgery.
- Eye drops- Eye drops is to reduce the formation of fluids in front of the eye and to increase it’s the flow outwards.
- Laser Surgery- the surgery aims to reduce fluid blockage. and the third type wherein a laser beam operates on the middle layer of the eye reducing fluid production.
- Microsurgery – in this a new channel is created to drain excess fluid decreasing the excess pressure.
There is two different type Laser Surgery
- Laser is use to pull open tissue in the eye.
- A tiny hole is in the iris to allow free flow fluid
Glaucoma can be easily treated if detected early, so guys, we say this, ‘A stitch in time can save nine!’
For more article like this visit: blog.eyedo.in